Jan 25, 2023
We wrap up Lantern Month with a case study in PTSD, Jessica
Cruz! Lock yourself in your apartment and listen now!
Issue 167 - Jessica
- Thanks to everyone who joined us for the watch
- Background (1:56)
- Jessica Cruz created by Geoff Johns, Ivan Reis,
Doug Mahnke, and Ethan Van Sciver in Justice League #30 (July 2014)
- Jessica was on a camping trip with her friends
when they witnessed mobsters burying a body - the mobsters killed
her friends to prevent witnesses, but Jessica escaped
- When she returned, she suffered from anxiety
attacks and agoraphobia, and locked herself in her apartment for
- When the Crime Syndicate of Earth-3 came to the
planet and Power Ring was killed, his ring found Jessica and bonded
to her because of her fear - the ring took over and led to her
attacking the Justice League & Doom Patrol
- With the help of Batman & Hal Jordan, she
learned to use the ring and control it, instead of letting it
- During the Darkseid War, his daughter Grail
summoned the Black Racer to kill the Flash, she managed to overtake
the ring’s control long enough to jump in front and attack the
Black Racer - it killed the entity in the ring, and left Jessica
presumably dead, until a Green Lantern ring approached her and
turned her into the newest Earth Lantern
- Hal partners her with Simon Baz, the other new
Earth Lantern, and right after they start working together, they
have to take on Atrocitus and the Red Lantern Corps, who are
constructing a Hell Tower on Earth - they destroy the tower, but
the Rage Seed was still implanted in the Earth
- She joins the Justice League, and helps them
take on Doctor Manhattan (unsuccessfully)
- Gets stranded on an outpost alone in space for
a year, and managed to fight off Sinestro Corps members when they
came to the station in search of supplies - she earns a yellow ring
after this, and joins the Sinestro Corps as the Lantern of
- Issues -
Theme is “You got this… but what if you don’t?” (6:48)
- PTSD - Agoraphobia
- PTSD - Anxiety (13:05)
- PTSD - Imposter syndrome (20:41)
- Break (31:31)
- Plugs for SNEScapades, Last Sons of Krypton,
and Jeremy Whitley
- Treatment (33:25)
- In-universe & out of universe are the same
- Skit (feat. Lauren from Legends of SHIELD)
- DOC: Hello Jessica, I’m Dr. Issues
- JESS: *deep breath & exhale* Hello
- DOC: What can I do for you?
- JESS: Well to be honest I’m a little creeped
- DOC: Why is that?
- JESS: This isn’t what I expected. Your
office is… unique
- DOC: I have to admit I’ve made some recent
changes. I have to keep up with the latest breakthroughs in
- JESS: It looks like you may have gone backwards
- DOC: What do you mean?
- JESS: Well, first of all I thought there would
be a couch. Why is there a beanbag? And what is that lavender
- DOC: I have come to realize that the
environment is very important for patients to get better.
That beanbag is warm and comforting and lavender is known to be
very soothing. But I didn’t stop there. I’m sure you’ve
noticed that tall lamp as well.
- JESS: Yeah, I think that’s something that I
should really talk to you about. It looks like something I’ve been…
- DOC: it’s part of my new concierge model.
I want to be able to dedicate myself to my patients more and in a
fashion that will allow for the best results while not stressing me
out. But I apologize, I just realize I haven’t really focused
on why you want my help in the first place.
- JESS: ‘Cause I’ve been through some bad stuff,
that’s why. And there are some serious times I feel like I
can’t do this at all.
- DOC: Well I can’t blame you for feeling that
way. That’s pretty common. What does that do to you
- JESS: It makes me wanna jump out of my skin
sometimes. I become a nervous wreck.
- DOC: Anxiety. Got it. But I notice
with what you have, clearly you have been managing very well for
- JESS: What, the ring? That’s part of the
problem. Everybody thinks I have it all put together.
*Scoffs* It makes me feel like an impostor.
- DOC: What's that saying, “dress for the job you
- JESS: You’re one to talk. *Sarcasm* You
don’t really dress like a DOCTOR
- DOC: You know, I used to dress up in a full
suit, but then I became more comfortable with who I am so I dress
the way I want.
- JESS: Is that why you went with this color
scheme for the office? To match your personal
- DOC: If you must know, I actually picked this
as a compromise. My favorite color is blue, and my daughter
enjoys purple, so somewhere in between seems fitting. *pause* Why
are you so fascinated with the random intricacies of my
decor? I’m supposed to get to know your situation, not the
other way around.
- JESS: *sigh* Is it really that
- DOC: You have been fidgeting for quite a while,
you constantly look over your shoulder, and so far all you’ve done
is critique me to the point that if I weren’t so chill about all of
this I’d be insulted.
- JESS: Like I said I’ve been through a lot in my
life. It pays to be safe.
- DOC: I don’t expect you to go into details, but
if you could at least identify what type of trauma you’ve had it
would be helpful.
- JESS: My face, rather my EYE, gives it
away. You’re not stupid.
- DOC: That definitely looks like a source of
pain and I’m sorry. But there’s more to it than that. You
seem distracted. Is there anything else?
- JESS: You’re definitely perceptive, I'll give
you that. *grunts* I can’t do this, ok? *angry* I CAN’T DO
- DOC: Whoa! I didn’t mean to get you that
- JESS: Well you did… Not you
really…but…what you’re doing
- DOC: I’m doing my job
- JESS: No you’re doing someone else’s job, and
that’s what I’m trying to figure out…this could have been
simple…*changes to authoritative tone* this is official green
lantern corp business. This office has been on our radar for
months. We know who comes in and out of here but lately,
something has changed. *sound effect for powering up* Please
provide us with the appropriate information, or I may have to use
- DOC: Well at least you’re nicer than the joint
commission. *sigh*OK here goes. I’ve made a deal with a
private equity firm… Of sorts. It’s not a complete buyout so
I still have significant control. Heck, they didn’t even want
money. They just wanted my office to be able to accommodate
certain situations, along with my professional
- JESS: Is that how you brainwashed Guy Gardner
into thinking you’re the best psychiatrist ever?
- DOC: What? No, I
- JESS: * interrupting* and is that how you
survived ATROCITUS without being obliterated?
- DOC: He just left on his own! I thought I was
going to die!
- JESS: *phone rings* This call is
- DOC: *surprisingly calm* wouldn’t dream of
- JESS: Hello…what? That was never supposed to
happen in our lifetime…I’m not… you can’t …someone else …ANYBODY
else…you’re asking for failure! No! * hangs up* We have to leave
now! *panicked* NOW!
- DOC: * phone rings* apparently it’s my
- JESS: I don’t care…it’s not that
- DOC: You don’t know that *answers* hello this
is Dr. Issues… I didn’t realize it was you. Yes I do
think that’s relevant to what’s going on right now. I guess
it fits in with being audited. Okay I’ll put in the
- JESS: We don't have time for this, we have to
leave. There’s a creature that can destroy us all coming here
right now and he is not about making friends. It’s another
lantern… The only orange one!
- DOC: *interrupting* Nope actually we have to
stay. More importantly, when I tell you, you have to open that
- JESS: The closet? You’re gonna have us
hide in the closet? This is ridiculous.
- DOC: We’re not going in. He is.
- JESS: You’re not trapping the greediest being
in the universe in the closet!
- DOC: * deep sigh* Please understand that I am
terrified right now and the only reason I’m keeping calm is that
this is what happens to me when I know there are things that must
be done. So for the sake of your life, mine, and everyone
that we care about, just open the door when I say so. I’m begging
- JESS: And when this doesn’t work…?
- DOC: Then I know I will have done everything I
could and I know a hero such as yourself will fight to her last
breath… But I hope it doesn’t come to that.
- JESS: Every day is a fight. Every
moment. The choice to get out of bed. To eat. To
smile. Everyone takes that for granted. And you really
think I could fight that… whatever it is when it gets
- DOC: Thank you for fighting, and winning all of
those so far. So much anxiety is about “what if,“ and you
have to keep proving yourself. The good news is there will
come a day where you don’t have to ask that question anymore.
Maybe today’s the day.
- ***chant of MINE IS MINE AND MINE AND MINE AND
MINE AND MINE AND MINE ***
- DOC: NOW!
- ***scream of NOOOOOOOT
- *** door opens then slams shut ***
- JESS: What was in-
- DOC: *answers phone again* Yes I was already
putting them in… I think the HalJordanol should work if it’s
administered as an inhalant. I’ll admit I don’t know what the
normal vital signs should be… Not aware of any next of kin
listed. Estimated length of stay 5 to 7 days or epochs,
whatever term is appropriate. *hangs up*
- JESS: What did you do?
- DOC: It will all make sense if you open the
- JESS: Are you insane? We can’t let him-
*stops abruptly* He’s not in there, is he?
- DOC: See for yourself
- JESS: *opens door* It’s empty… And it
looks like a hospital room?
- DOC: Crisis area. I’m not a contractor
but I’m guessing there is some inter-dimensional stuff at
- JESS: Then where is he now?
- DOC: To be honest I don’t know how to describe
it, but if a hospital is the best analog, let’s just say he’s being
held for observation with a plan to return to his
- JESS: There is no way the Guardians authorized
- DOC: I’m no expert in those types of
discussions. All I know is, I have someone who can give a
proper report of a system like this working for the first
- JESS: You’ll need some official
- DOC: Right now the best I can do is my
- JESS: I can’t read it… It’s like it’s in
some sort of alien language.
- DOC: Yeah I actually can’t read it either but
for some reason I can understand it. They messed up my name
though. It says “Dr. Ishigo.” They also said that this is only for
- JESS: I don’t think that’s a
- DOC: Nok.
- Ending (50:13)
- Recommended reading: Green Lanterns
- Next episodes: Ted Anderson interview, Animal
sidekicks, Kang the Conqueror
- Plugs for social