Nov 9, 2022
Before he makes his big screen debut in Wakanda Forever, we take
a deep dive on NAMOR! To what depths does his distrust of the
surface world go?
- New patron: Citizen Amar-Kareem
- Background (4:55)
- Namor Mckenzie, the Sub-Mariner, created by Bill Everett in
Motion Picture Funnies Weekly (April 1939) and Marvel Comics #1
- Namor was born from a human father, sea captain Leonard
McKenzie, and an Atlantean, Fen, daughter of Emperor Thakorr
- His unique parentage gave him both strengths and weaknesses
that other Atlanteans did not possess: he is pink skinned like
humans as opposed to the blue skin of pureblood Atlanteans, but he
cannot survive in water or on land for prolonged periods of time,
or it will impact his psyche
- Initially Namor was, if not a full villain, at best an antihero
or well-intentioned extremist, attacking Americans in the name of
protecting Atlantis and the ocean
- Once WWII started, he joined other heroes in attacking
- After WWII, he suffered an amnesiac attack, and once he
recovered, he joined Professor Xavier in searching for mutants -
Xavier’s attempt at repairing his memories, however, created
further issues in Namor’s mind, and gave him bipolar disorder
- He was later found wandering the streets of New York as an
amnesiac vagrant - upon learning that Atlantis was destroyed by
nuclear bombs, his memories returned and he vowed revenge on the
surface world, pitting him against the Fantastic Four numerous
- He would attempt several times to woo Susan Storm away from
Reed, but although Sue admits an attraction to Namor, she remains
loyal to her husband
- He married twice - his first wife Dorma was killed shortly
after the wedding by an evil mermaid, and his second wife Marrina
was driven mad, and Namor was forced to kill her with the Ebony
Blade - she survived, and Norman Osborn altered her DNA to turn her
into a raging beast as part of his revenge on Namor, who killed her
once again #BecauseComics
- In the 90s, he searches for sunken treasures and uses the money
to finance a corporation that focuses on conservation
- He is a member of the Illuminati, and notably the only one
opposed to sending the Hulk into space, as he foresaw dire
consequences should Bruce return - he was the only one who Bruce
didn’t seek vengeance upon when Hulk came back
- Due to his mutant abilities, he formally joins the X-Men, and
is one of the Phoenix Five during AvX, but is the first one to be
defeated and lose his Phoenix Force powers
- Namor is killed by the Squadron Supreme in retaliation for his
numerous attacks on Earth and other worlds, but this is undone by
time travel after the team realized Namor’s murder would lead to
- Fights the Agents of Atlas after Atlantis’ guardian dragon is
stolen - after some battling, Namor & the agents come to an
understanding, and then team up against the King in Black
- Issues - born of two worlds, welcome in neither
- Mixed parentage creates hostility
- Unique physiology leads to bipolar disorder, or at least
- Zealotry for Atlanteans leads to issues with both his people as
well as surface dwellers
- In-universe -
- Out of universe - Mixed race parentage
- Hello Namor, I’m Dr. Issues. - I am King Namor, ruler of
Atlantis. I am not one of your colleagues, we are not fraternizing
over a beverage. You will address me accordingly.
- My apologies, your majesty…your highness…your Atlantean
Majestic highness? I’m bad at this. -I gave you one job and yet you
have failed. But I am a forgiving ruler, so you will get one more
- Thank you, King Namo…wait, you don’t rule me! -That is not the
point. As long as you show the proper respect, and the appropriate
decorum, then I have no quarrel with you.
- Very well then. What does the mighty King of Atlantis have to
gain from gracing the presence of a common land-dwelling human
psychiatrist? -I would have thought that my message was delivered
ahead of time. If not, then I will be forced to punish the one that
failed to deliver said message, AND then I will have them re-send
that message twice as fast the next time. There is no room for
error in troubling times such as these.
- So…what was the message? - That I, albeit one of the most
important figures in existence, has made his mark on the world, yet
still find challenges that can only be mastered through the guiding
hand of one with the knowledge of the mind. You, my humble servant,
are such a man.
- Um…thanks? So, what can I help you with? -My people have
respected me for so long that I worry they no longer fear me the
way they should. There is no room for comfort when our world
remains in great peril on all sides.
- No offense but, that comes across a bit paranoid. -You wouldn’t
say that if you have fought the battles we have fought. To be
forewarned is to be forearmed.
- But why would you want fear instead of respect? Fear is the
more primal response and that sounds…beneath you. -Fear can be
harnessed. Respect is dormant, docile even.
- Boy, you really have a hard edge. Do you ever relax? -I am
capable of the finest travels in leisure only privy to those that
would dare seek such an endeavor.
- *pause* Such as… -That’s classified. It is beneath a man of my
stature to, as you say, kiss and tell.
- Oooooookaaaaay…are you always this obtuse? -There is no need to
use such language! Remember your place amongst royalty.
- *pause* You don’t know what that word means, do you? -*pause*
The kingdom of Atlantis has no need for obscure vocabulary. We
speak directly, we are a people of action.
- All you’re talking about so far is your people. That’s nice,
but the point of individual therapy is the individual. What do you
want to change? -Nothing.
- Then we’re done here. What’s the point? -You once again have a
misguided approach. I am saying that I value consistency.
Tradition. Honor. Or are those concepts too…obtuse for you to
- You want permanent, everlasting control of that which is
important to you. -Now we are speaking the right language.
- As a psychiatrist, I must inform you, King Namor of the
Atlanteans, that I am in no position to make any such guarantee
that our sessions will yield that result. - I see. You need to work
on your delivery of sarcasm. It does not match any of my rivals for
wit or passion.
- You’re USED to people talking to you that way? Did you ever
think that it’s because you get under the skin of every person you
meet? -A pearl is made by an irritant of sand in an oyster’s mouth.
And yet, not every oyster produces a pearl. My lot in life is to
create more treasures of the sea. Why should I care if others are
intolerable of my grit?
- I’m not sure that’s a “lot” in life instead of a conscious
choice. -*pause* That’s not a question.
- I…don’t think I wanted it to be a question? Anyway, you’re
blocking my attempts to understand your emotions, your thought
process, and your values. What do you want from me? -Well, you
haven't attempted to throw me out of your office yet, so that tells
me you are more tolerant than most plebs. ***paper unfurls***
Here’s a list of every goal that is relevant to my success.
- The first 50 of them are crossed off. You don’t need to show me
those. -Then how will you know of my great achievements?
- I agree -What?
- *quickly* Nothing…now, you name at least 20 people here and
simply have an exclamation point next to their names…except Sue,
where you have a heart…but there are no details for any of them - I
don’t need explanations; I know what they mean.
- But I DON’T know what they mean! -That’s for you to decipher as
we talk over the next 22 sessions
- 22?! Aww man…um, why 22? -I have a full calendar of every
in-person session and phone call that we’ll have so that you can’t
say “I’m busy” at the last moment. Your online system is truly
- Are you trying to make up for a lack of other attachments by
putting more energy into me? -*pause* You say it like it’s a bad
- 15 minute…10 minute time limit - But I
- *interrupting* and only 3 topics -You are in no position
- *interrupting again* plus if you are more than 5 minutes late I
charge double -*pause* you are trying to create barriers. I see.
But a king never yields. You WILL treat me and you WILL know my
greatness. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go salvage a barren
stretch of an unknown trench that you have never heard of but will
save countless ocean creatures for the sake of Atlantean commerce.
I’ll be sure to send you a private message when it concludes at…oh,
about 4AM on your time scale.
- *heaviest sigh* I look forward to it. - Now THAT was
- Recommended reading: Sub-Mariner: The Depths
- Next episodes: Mystique, Poison Ivy, Moira McTaggert
- Plugs for social