May 11, 2022
Following the release of Dr. Strange 2, we talk the Scarlet
Witch, Wanda Maximoff! Chaos reigns throughout the episode,
including an engaging discussion about the need to get help. You
won't want to miss this one!
- Shoutout to Mr. Stoto’s AP Psychology class at St. Joseph’s
- Background (4:49)
- Scarlet Witch (Wanda Maximoff) created by Stan Lee and Jack
Kirby in The X-Men #4 (March 1964)
- Originally, she & her twin brother Pietro were members of
Magneto’s Brotherhood of Evil Mutants in an effort to rule
- Originally her power was merely “hex magic”, where she could
manifest bad luck to those trying to harm her - later changed to
chaos magic, which made her more powerful and able to control all
manner of probabilities
- She later joined the Avengers, where she met and fell in love
with Vision - listen to our WandaVision episode for more on
- Her parentage has changed several times over the years -
originally she & Pietro were Romani, born to human parents - then
they were adopted by the Maximoffs from the High Evolutionary -
then they were the children of the Whizzer & Miss America - then
they were Magneto’s kids - then they weren’t mutants, and were the
result of the High Evolutionary’s experiments - then they were the
children of the previous Scarlet Witch, and their adoptive parents
were actually their aunt & uncle #BecauseComics
- Had two children, Billy & Tommy, with Vision - later revealed
they were magic creations using pieces of Mephisto’s soul, and they
vanished - the memories later vanished, only to be triggered by
Janet van Dyne - Wanda sought revenge against the Avengers, and
this led to Disassembled and House of M, where she had a breakdown
and used her chaos magic to eliminate almost all mutant powers from
- After several years as an outcast, she later joins with Hope
Summers, and the two combine their powers to destroy the Phoenix
Force and restore the mutant X-gene to the global population
- This led to her becoming an enemy of the state on Krakoa,
although she later redeemed herself by sacrificing her life to
enable Cerebro to find all mutants and bring them to Krakoa
- Issues (7:55)
- Her relationship with her children - how she kept losing them,
and then when they’re there, physically, she feels uncomfortable
- Her relationship with Magneto & Pietro (19:36)
- Not so much an issue as it is a question - There’s a What If
with Jessica Jones where she joins Avengers as a SHIELD liaison,
and most of the major events happen as they would, except Wanda
hides her children in a closet before Jessica showed up, and
because of that Jessica gets her help, and so Disassembled never
happens - talk about how hard it is to get help, or the right kind
of help (29:35)
- Break (46:21)
- Treatment (48:15)
- In-universe - Give Wanda a fixed place that she can always go
- Out of universe - Family therapy - use the chain/rope
technique to help improve the dynamic
- Hello Wanda, I’m Dr. Issues. - Hello, Doctor. I want to be
upfront: I understand the need to be here, and I even agree with
the assessment that this will be helpful. But that doesn’t mean I’m
eager to undergo a deep analysis on every single decision I’ve made
over the course of my life.
- That’s understandable, especially since neither one of us would
have time to do that. My job is to make sure you find out what
works for you to deal with how those events have shaped who you are
now. Unfortunately, that does mean we’ll have to talk about
uncomfortable things once in a while. So, I’ll let you start with
what feels most challenging for you. Anything come to mind? - Is it
cheating to say everything? I’m not being flippant, but I have a
litany of items that would fit that description, and to choose any
individual one would feel like closing my eyes and tossing a dart.
Sometimes I really feel like the personification of chaos, magic or
- I can respect that. If I may suggest then, that we start by
narrowing it down to a sphere of your life. For example, personal
development, or a specific relationship? - Let’s stay away from the
relationships to start. I have too many demons in too many
relationships to jump into that at the beginning, and frankly, no
offense, I’m not sure you could stomach some of the things I would
describe to you.
- You’d be surprised at what I would be able to handle; and when
it’s necessary, I also consult someone to make sure I process
things as best I can. Anyway, I’ll take the lead then, since I
suggested personal development. You mentioned chaos. Is it a matter
of behavioral disorganization, inattention, procrastination,
emotional disruption, or… - *interrupting* You could continue to
give descriptions and I would just automatically say yes to
everything at some point. So even narrowing it down that way does
me no service. That’s my point, Doctor. The mere act of trying to
pick a starting point is overwhelming. It’s like drinking from a
- Whenever a patient tells me that, I know to start with basic
needs. How are you sleeping? How’s your appetite? Are you able to
manage your daily tasks for your own survival? -*Irritated* I’m not
a simpleton, Doctor! I manage those things just fine! Maybe some
bad dreams, but…no, that’s not something we should delve
- On the contrary, dreams can tell a lot! I will admit my
limitations, but I may be able to help parse out what small tidbits
could be beneficial to address. - The world of my dreams is far
more dangerous than I could make you understand. The unconscious
mind attempts to make sense of what the conscious mind cannot, but
I fear it fares no better. In either case I am left confused and am
no closer to an explanation.
- That is quite literally what I can offer you. You want an
honest external attempt at clarity, I’m your doctor. -Once again,
with all due respect, but there may be some other doctor who can
manage that realm…
- *interrupting* Without giving too much away, let’s just say we
have a working understanding, albeit a bit…odd… - Odd? Or
- You are perceptive. I guess that’s my coy way of saying…try me.
What about those dreams? - OK, you want me to describe just one of
my average dreams?
- For starters, yes. Just give me one that you recall vividly. -
Fine. I am in a beautiful field, surrounded by mountains. There is
a woman nearby with the head of a cow.
- Alright, that could symbolize - *interrupts* That’s not a
symbol, that is Bova. She is the woman who raised me.
- Oh. OK, please continue. - She hands me two infants swaddled in
blankets. I hold them, and the children smile at me for a moment.
They are beautiful boys. Until they both point at me and begin
- Interesting. Are the children yours? I didn’t ask you about
that before so -*interrupts* I don’t…think we need to get to that
right now. May I continue?
- Yes, go on. - They are crying, and then they start shouting at
me that I am not real. That I don’t belong here. That this
shouldn’t be happening. *sound effects begin* That dark forces are
aligning because of what I have done.
- I want to know more, but could you keep the room the way it
was, please? Because my office -*ignoring the doctor* The dark
forces aren’t demons or magical creatures, they are my friends, or
who I thought were friends and teammates. They are conspiring
against me. They know what I can do, they are afraid. I am afraid.
They are trying to stop this.
- Stopping this right now doesn't sound too bad… - *ignoring
again* My father is there. Or he’s supposed to be my father, but he
has another face, and yet I recognize him as my father. He is
leading the charge. I try to stop him, but my hands will not move.
My fingers ball into fists, and instead of using them for magic I
begin assaulting myself. I don’t want to, and yet I feel like I
- Doesn’t take a degree to get that last part…but there’s a
problem because it feels like something is hitting ME when you say
that, so I think there’s some magic going on anyway. Perhaps in a
DIFFERENT session we can… - My fists finally open, and so does the
sky, and it begins to rain blood and screams. I can barely protect
myself from this, and the screams get louder. I hear fallen
teammates, I hear children, I hear my ex-husband. All of them
asking things of me, making demands I cannot meet. The blood covers
me and yet I am not wet. I begin to cry, and my tears also scream
at me for releasing them.
- Getting a little exhausted here. I didn’t know walls could melt
without LSD or psilocybin, but here we are. How am I supposed to
paint with my own skin? Wait, that didn’t make sense. How do you
stop this? - The screams reach a fever pitch, until they are so
loud I cannot hear anything else, and that is when I wake up.
*noises suddenly stop* And I am in my bed at home.
- *creeped out* But why am I there too? WHY AM I IN YOUR HOME?!!
- What? Oh, I am very sorry doctor. *magic sound FX* As you can
see, sometimes these things can be… overwhelming. But I answered
- *panting* Alright…regardless of a diagnosis, I’m prescribing
something. Maybe I should get some enchanted SSRIs or
voodoovalproic acid, maybe dopamine blockade with a 4 leaf clover…I
have no idea, but I can’t ignore what I just experienced. I will
agree with you for now that any deep analysis is too dangerous. -
And you now see my reticence to engage in this with you. It is not
out of fear of acknowledgement. I know I need to speak to someone.
I know there are things that I cannot continue to leave unspoken or
unaddressed. But I know that I am unable to go down some of these
roads without potentially causing serious harm to whoever dares
accompany me. Even if that person had abilities or powers, the risk
of losing another person’s life for something I did is too much for
me to bear.
- Absolutely makes sense…which is something I’m glad to say after
all of that. Now, it’s time for some burpees, followed by deep
breathing with stretches, and a mild sedative. -That sounds very
forward of you doctor to prescribe such specific
- *interrupting* That’s not for you, that’s for me. I need to be
sharp for any more sessions with you. I won’t give up. - I don’t
understand. Why would you continue to risk everything for a
possibility that I might make a slight improvement?
- Because that’s what I signed up for. I may not comprehend
everything a person says or does, but I can be there for the
experience, good or bad. And I can always make suggestions for
improvement. A work in progress starts with work before progress. -
That sounds like it should be on a coffee mug or other location
where one would emblazon a mantra. *sound effect* Consider this,
then, a gift for your next training session.
- I’m flattered! Um…why is there a giant crack in it? - It is
flawed. Like both of us. But despite its outward appearance, it
will not spill. It manages to hold everything inside, no matter
- I will cherish it well…including that sentiment, more
than you know.
- Recommended reading: Scarlet Witch vol. 2 (James Robinson
- Next episodes: Beast Boy, Sue Storm, plus Mental Health
Avengers somewhere in there
- Plugs for social